Sunday, November 30, 2014

A Go-With-Everything Ponte Jacket



Back in September I realized I could really use a basic cardigan in my wardrobe, an easy-to-wear jacket that would go with (almost) everything. So I dug through my resource center and found a black ponte milled for Eileen Fisher, purchased from Sawyer Brook a couple of years ago. The fabric is rayon and nylon, and it has a soft hand and drape.


Now, basic isn't my normal thing. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I like asymmetry, uneven hemlines, and maybe a touch of paint. But not on this garment. I really needed it to be PLAIN. Enter McCall's 6996, view C/D, a simple cardigan with a wide center front band that becomes a collar of sorts. Without buttons or pockets. Really basic.

There is one nice design feature on the jacket - gathering at the center back seam of the band:


I like the extra interest this gathering gives, even though it's a small area that is almost covered by my hair.

A simple pattern and easy to sew fabric made for a quick project. Cutting this out and sewing it up was a dream. A dream in terms of easiness, but I have to admit, it was a bit boring for me to sew, and I was glad to get it over with. But it will be the perfect thing to grab when I need an extra layer over a t-shirt, and I expect to wear it a lot. I'm in the market for a really funky cardigan style jacket to make from ponte but I haven't found one yet. Maybe I'll have to design one that more suits my style.

The t-shirt I'm wearing with the jacket is also a recent make. The fabric is a rayon/lycra jersey, once again from Sawyer Brook. I had visions of combining it with other fabrics, but that never happened, so I decided on a top. It's a lot of print for me, but it will usually be covered by this jacket, or one of my black vests. I used my TNT t-shirt pattern, Vogue 8793, Katherine Tilton's zipper collar top. I made it with a neckband instead of the collar.


I've been on a quest of perfecting my TNT t-shirt pattern. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting close.

And that's the news from my little corner of the world. I have some other garments finished but I need more photos. We got 6" of snow Wednesday, so outdoor shots are out. The daylight hasn't been good here lately either, so I'm still waiting for a sunny day so I can take photos indoors. I'll be using my new camera and tripod. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Everyone needs a basic black jacket - what else can you wear with all your beautiful colourful patterned tops like your recent make. Both are lovely but I must say I do like a vibrant print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new jacket! How did I miss that pattern? I have been looking for a pattern for a sweater knit. and I think this may be the one. I also love the t-shirt, such a versatile print, and it looks so good on you. Are you sure the fit isn't perfect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! Thanks for your comments. The t-shirt is a bit loose through the shoulders, and the sleeves hang off my shoulders just a tad. It would be different in a different fabric, of course. Knits are so variable!

      Delete
  3. Such a different colour palette for you, Dixie! It looks very sophisticated and chic. Who doesn't need a black cardi (or a dozen!) to pop over everything? It might be boring to sew basics but they are the ones that get worn the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and classic! I love your photos too; you look like you're enjoying yourself there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. My sister took the photos back in October. We were being rather playful, so I was having a good time!
      She lives at a former private home that is now a manor of sorts, and holds functions such as weddings. There are lots of gardens on the property. This one is just outside my sister's back door. What a gift!

      Delete
  5. Great look on you - you're going to get lots of wear out the cardigan! And if you think it's too plain, you can always jazz it up with a scarf, pin or flower sometiimes. The t-shirt fit is almost there - you've been working hard on that, and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So smart to make a basic black jacket/cardi. And I too like the detail on the back neckline. And your TNT t-shirt pattern just so happens to be mine. Great graphic print on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all for basics-they are able to frame some of our more adventurous garments. This knit cardi is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete